Mod/Admin Shortages

Discussion in 'Website and Server Suggestions' started by Dark_Hydralisk, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Dark_Hydralisk

Dark_Hydralisk Member

Ratings:
    +15 / -5
    Though i've been on this server for a little more then a month, ive noticed that this server is greatly missing mods and admins. Im always online, so i see MANY time pockets open where mods and admins are missing for more then 4-6 hours. THOUGH, i am qualified due to my being an admin on another server and a mod on another after that, i am not vouching for myself in particular. Just yesterday, 10/26/14, there were 6 people spamming, one spamming an advertisement of another skyblock server. No one was able to do anything outside of /ignore. We need more staff. Please consider this problem.

Once again, i am NOT asking for rank in anyway shape or form. I am willing and able to step up, but once again, i am posting this for the betterment of the server rather then myself. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. socool121

socool121 New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / -1
    Yesterday i was on all day mate! That my far is a lie!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. MCDad42

MCDad42 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    Actually socool, the incident that was described did in fact happen because I witnessed it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dark_Hydralisk

Dark_Hydralisk Member

Ratings:
    +15 / -5
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but why would i hunt down the servers forum and post this JUST to lie? Way too much work if you ask me. Now, IF what you say is true, and you were online all day, you wasn't paying attention.

5. microwaveablepig

microwaveablepig New Member God

Ratings:
    +5 / -3
    weren't* also sorry a grammar freak

6. Dark_Hydralisk

Dark_Hydralisk Member

Ratings:
    +15 / -5
    He said that he WAS online all day. So i believe my grammar is correct. We're falling off of topic though! There is still an admin position and a major time slot that needs to be filled.

7. LonelyStaccato

LonelyStaccato Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I used to be on all day, but to be honest, let me put you in our shoes

First off, the staff are people too. We have lives, friends, families, and this usually means we can't be on 24/7. I'm the only Australian staff member, which means I'm often on when others are not, but as of late I haven't been on as often as I'd like due to other arrangements. This can be said for quite a few of the staff. As much as we want to be on for a while, minecraft sometimes has to take second priority.

Secondly, the amount of abuse we deal with is actually impossible to describe.

-Be a good staff member

-Be a popular staff member

Pick one. If you choose to punish people for breaking rules, then people will hate you. If you don't ban people and give free items, you'll be popular but be a shitty member of staff.

The torrents of abuse we receive is really hard to deal with. The fact we also have to ban our friends, which severs friendships super fast is pretty hard to cope with. If we ban someone, then we can brace ourselves for all the "ABUSE, DEMOTE, FUK U SUK A DIK U LITEL SHITT" that we get afterwards. So sometimes we realise that it's easier not to ban someone, for stress on everyone's part.

That's why the server is slowly dying.

You want to change it? Be nice to staff. If they ban you or your friends, accept it. Unless you weren't actually doing anything (We know when you're lying, we turn invisible and follow you usually before we hand out punishment), then take it as a lesson and move on. If we keep getting shit for doing our jobs, we won't anymore. The server will descend into a cavalcade of hackers, douchebags, scammer and spammers.

The choice is on you guys now.

8. Dark_Hydralisk

Dark_Hydralisk Member

Ratings:
    +15 / -5
    I completely agree with you Lonely. I had to deal with the same thing on my server before this, and i deal with it in real life as a leader in my workplace. I'm saying that the amount of work to worker ratio is pretty bad. You guys (staff) are VERY short handed. "Many hands make the work light."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  9. An_Old_Lady

An_Old_Lady New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    Unfortunately, I don't really think there's a way to change the behavior of the community in itself. After all, if some people can't look past spite and their pride to see that a friend (or any person) is really deserving of a punishment, then it's very unlikely that anything will ever change that. It's not fair that a staff member can't have friends if he does his job correctly... but it's the sad truth, I guess. The only apparent options for him/her to endure that, or for the community to change itself for the better.

That's why I agree with both Lonely and Dark... Let the staff do their job and support them no matter their choices. If you already do so, then why not volunteer to help out the staff? Even if you don't do much as a mod, having one around is almost always helpful, from what I've seen. So, please, don't let this server die. Do what you can to make it a better place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. socool121

socool121 New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / -1
  11. Dark_Hydralisk

Dark_Hydralisk Member

Ratings:
    +15 / -5
    ? I don't know... Are you? Rofl

12. Dragoon12400

Dragoon12400 New Member Immortal

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Lonely don't even, i'm a good staff member and i'm popular :p Perks of being sexy

• Like Like x 4
  13. ScarletKitty13

ScarletKitty13 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    well said Lonely, although true friends shouldnt put you in the position of having to punish them. my general policy is to screenshot any hint of an issue when possible so if there's a problem it shows that they were warned, kept causing issues and were dealt with or reported.

consistency is key, if they see they wont get away with it, it will discourage future issues as well.

14. Dark_Hydralisk

Dark_Hydralisk Member

Ratings:
    +15 / -5
    Agreed. When people think they can step out of line with no repercussions, they will. Having a strong staff can fix that

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lexbian

Lexbian New Member Overlord

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    I don't think the statement about good vs popular was accurate, because when i was mod, i was loved and respected by most of the players. and i wasn't handing out freebies. and i was on for the australian hours. I've been coming online for the last week now and i haven't seen ANY staff online for the aussie hours, a few times I've seen some very bad language, scamming stealing, tp killing, and I've had to call staff on Skype to deal with this, because there have been young players in the room. what's going to happen if some young child is playing and their parent sees all the profanity that their child is reading. we could lose players to this reason, and we could also lose players if some of the good ones are forced to sit there and take all this disrespect from little delinquents and they might just leave and find a different server, and we don't want that, we want as many players as possible to come and enjoy the server.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Destro15

Destro15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I agree that there is a mod shortage because I dont think that there is 1 person whos from england apart from socool? I dont know if anyone else is, pardon me if Im wrong

17. Destro15

Destro15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Yes I totally agree that you have a 50/50 way to go, the thing about banning/muting your friends is hard, ive always wondered, If I was ever mod, I dont know how hard it would be to ban/mute them.

Little Story:

If a guy took a loaf of bread from a store, and took it home, you chased after him, and when you got to where he lived, you saw a poor family, all dirty and smelly, you wouldnt want to call the police, but if it was a rich guy that took the bread, then you would call the police. you have to treat everyone equally, so you would have to call the police about the poor family but they would hate you for it, but its a matter of principles.

And Helpers/Mods/Admins have to deal with this every day, not as serious but its still quite hard to do the right thing.

18. LookAtMrLee

LookAtMrLee Member Overlord

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    I do agree with what you've said there Dest. The thing is there are rules and the rules have to be abided by, If someone steps out of line then they need to be warned and if they carry on then they have to face the consequences.

Also I completely agree with what Lexiban has said, we need to watch very carefully about some of these times as I know a large section of our player base is of a younger audience so we need to clamp down on these rule breakers and keep the server running nicely and smoothly.
    The times I see where there is a gap of staff is usually around the time of morning in the UK which is the same as evening time in Australia. When the staff are on they do an amazing job, so please don't take this the wrong way and think I am dissing the staff, that's not what I'm doing.

I hope this has come across the way it was meant to :)
    Cheers
    ~Lee

19. Destro15

Destro15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Theres a mod, and a good mod, A mod is where you dont mute people, dont kick/ban people for doing something wrong, a good mod is always banning/kicking/muting people FOR THE RIGHT REASONS, and not because someone said it to you to try and get that person in trouble or whatever.