Petition to Remove Kid-Friendly Restrictions on Original Skyblock

Discussion in 'Website and Server Suggestions' started by _Zomwolf_, Aug 15, 2016.

1. _Zomwolf_

_Zomwolf_ New Member VIP

Ratings:
    +2 / -4
    I am making this petition because there is no purpose in restricting language to protect kids that aren't present. The vast majority of the players on this server are able to handle swear words, and most people are annoyed and frustrated by the rules that keep them from expressing themselves. Also, good group discussions that occur in the general chat are often stamped out because of their mature-ish or controversial content. All of this leads to a very unfriendly atmosphere, as demonstrated by the many times this server has been compared to Nazi Germany by various people.
    The counter-point might be brought up that the staff have a responsibility to protect the few young children that might play and/or any young children that drift through. The thing is, all that is necessary is an indicator that the server is not kid-friendly in the description and on server lists. Besides, if kids are playing public Minecraft servers, they are bound to be exposed to swearing and mature content anyway.
    This petition is asking for the chat filter to be mostly or completely removed, for the allowance of mature jokes in general chat, and for the allowance of mature conversations in general chat (ideally controversial discussions as well, though that is a separate issue).
    Sign this petition to make these changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. itdave

itdave Well-Known Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +266 / -21
    to be honest, the only reason why i see that there is restrictions to swearing and such is probably so that we can target a younger audience and attract more members instead of just having a set audience of people who swear all the time, compared to someone else who doesn't, and then they can not play because they do not like the atmosphere set by that new change.

also, it doesn't kill you to not make a vulgar joke does it? in the long run it benefits the server a whole lot more to just have rules restricting swearing so that all ages of all kinds can enjoy the server instead of just one set group.

• Like Like x 5
  3. _Zomwolf_

_Zomwolf_ New Member VIP

Ratings:
    +2 / -4
    I totally get what you're saying. I actually don't swear myself, so this is more for the sake of the server atmosphere. I see the benefit of attracting that younger audience, but at the same time, one of the goals of a server is to keep people playing, so I definitely think the current situation is not sustainable. Perhaps a compromise could be reached, remove the swear filter but continue to restrict sexual/morbid humor?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. XbFTB

XbFTB Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +33 / -37
    no that isn't how it works

whenever I talk about something inappropriate to my friends in /msg, I get warned by a mod most of the time

imo there should be a compromise by adding an extra text channel where these dumb filters are removed and less chat rules made to "protect the children" apply

Edit: Kingofthedogs , if you're going to dislike a post which includes a suggestion that isn't completely stupid can you at least leave some reasoning so that I can improve on the suggestion made? As it is right now, you're contributing nothing to the server and are completely useless to it as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  5. itdave

itdave Well-Known Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +266 / -21
    dude making a 2nd chat channel would be dank as hell, im down for that imho

• Like Like x 2
  6. captianbob

captianbob Active Member Immortal

Ratings:
    +149 / -0
    Nope

• Like Like x 1
  7. _Zomwolf_

_Zomwolf_ New Member VIP

Ratings:
    +2 / -4
    Nope what? No second chat? Nope overall?

8. AmandaMarissa

AmandaMarissa Good Noodle God

Ratings:
    +192 / -0
    Most staff are very lenient on what is said in /msg. Cursing/joking around is okay, unless it is pointed at them in a negative way. If it's clear that it's you and your friend messing around, I personally don't say anything, unless it goes too far. There are a few words that we hope to keep out of even /msg, but you will be messaged if you say one of those words. These words that we hope that you don't use are ones that are extremely offensive by themselves and don't include the normally used curse words. If we feel like you are getting too carried away and crazy in /msg we will also ask you to calm down. If you have any problems, try to contact other staff or make a forum post about it. We want everyone to enjoy the server, everyone of all ages. It's not to "get more players", but to keep our environment friendly to everyone. Even if your "petition" reaches a majority vote on changing the rules, these are the server rules and they will not be changed. No one is forcing you to play on here, so if it's really a hassle for you to refrain from crude jokes/cursing in global chat, I advise you to look for another server.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. _Zomwolf_

_Zomwolf_ New Member VIP

Ratings:
    +2 / -4
    I'm not going to die on this hill, but I am trying to voice concerns I feel many members share in. I'd respectfully ask you to remember that rules are made by people, and people are imperfect. Willingness to change the rules with good reason (whether in this scenario or not) is a crucial part of a friendly server environment. A difficult thing to take into consideration is that the definition of friendliness varies from person to person; in the eyes of some, friendliness is clean jokes and language, even at the cost of repression of the preferred conversation topics of some, while for others, friendliness is a relaxed, joking atmosphere where you can speak (somewhat) freely.

10. captianbob

Ratings:
    +149 / -0
    Your right. And here is another one. Hey dick head, are we talking about the forums or the server?

11. captianbob

Ratings:
    +149 / -0
    Don't try and be a smart ass.

12. captianbob

Ratings:
    +149 / -0
    This is an all age server, and has been for 2 1/2 years. And you are the first one to find it a "problem". We aren't going to change it cause in no way shape or form is allowing Cussing and calling other people dicks and bitches going to make this server a better place. You would be surprised how many people on the server are actually not as old as you think. The server will remain All age friendly, Thank you for the suggestion.

13. _Zomwolf_

_Zomwolf_ New Member VIP

Ratings:
    +2 / -4
    Fair enough. Your server, your rules. I'm not going to die on this hill.

14. Borked

Borked Member God

Ratings:
    +91 / -2
    No matter how hard we try, this server will never change the rules to make skyblock.co players happy. While some of us (not me) want the rules to align with .co's old rules, they never will. We either have to respect the server and the staff's rules, or just not play. Trust me, I miss .co a bit as well, but this isn't .co.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ShaeSnow

ShaeSnow Member God

Ratings:
    +52 / -13
    Gotta be careful what you think, they can read what you say inside your head, make sure it's empty otherwise you'll die lolololololololololololololololo

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dominem

Dominem Active Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +107 / -0
    [pm]to:1stglitch[/pm] they know[//]

• Like Like x 1