Voting Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DirtyCobble, Feb 13, 2018.

1. DirtyCobble

DirtyCobble Active Member Skymaster

Ratings:
    +73 / -4
    I would like to have some information on the specifics of voting.

1. What time zone does the server forum run?

2. On the first day of each month, is there a cool down or lag time before votes that day would count? If so, how long is that time?

3. Why do the links all say "vote again in 19 hrs", but then some make you wait the full 24 hrs?

4. Are there more links to vote from other than the 6 listed in forum? (A post from 2016 mentioned 7 links)

5. Can anyone else with a different ipaddress vote using another player's username, making that player get extra votes?

6. If a player gets more than 6 votes in a day, does staff know how they got it or would this be considered a cheat tactic?

7. Is it true that a player cannot win the top prize two months in a row?

Any other information would be appreciated.

I vote for several reasons-- to support the server, the daily money of $1200, and the crate keys for the loot. But if there is a contest for the top voter and the prize is something I would make good use of, then I'm going for it! However, if the whole voting totals per player is set up to give one player an advantage somehow, it should be fixed so all player's have the same chance to win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Zigoul

Zigoul New Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +15 / -1
    I'll try to answer most of your questions:

1. I believe the forum runs EST

2. I have no idea, but voting worked on the first day for me.

3. This is because of some simple javascript. Once the server registers your vote, javascript automatically puts a check and puts 19 hours. This javascript is not connected to the vote server and thus the timer is sometimes wrong.

4. No there are only 6 vote links

5. No. The voting website registeres your vote based on your username AND IP address. If I vote for myself and then I switch IP's and vote for myself again, the website won't accept it, even on a different IP, because that username has already voted.

6. I have no idea. I believe one of the vote links has a 12-hour cool-down though.

7. I dont know.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. CreeperSquadV

CreeperSquadV New Member God

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    Why dont you want me to win again that's wont be fair

4. SpaceDogShorty

SpaceDogShorty New Member God

Ratings:
    +12 / -2
  5. CreeperSquadV

CreeperSquadV New Member God

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    is i don't win twice even if i voted

6. SpaceDogShorty

Ratings:
    +12 / -2
  7. SpaceDogShorty

Ratings:
    +12 / -2
    Also why did you dislike DirtyCobble's post? All she did was ask a few questions about voting

8. DirtyCobble

Ratings:
    +73 / -4
    Creeper, I mentioned the winning twice thing because someone in game told me that and I couldn't remember who it was, although I am pretty sure it was a staff member, so I wanted an answer from a staff member.

The whole post was to hopefully get some clarification on voting. If you had an extra vote making 7 in one day because of a glitch, do you think that's fair game? Or would you be honest and report it to a staff member who would be able to fix the glitch so it doesn't happen again?

I know a couple players got their 6 votes counted on Feb 01, but I voted all 6 links also and mine didn't count. If I had known there was a time lag on the first of the month, I would have waited to vote when it did count and I would be in first place right now. Somehow, you have 3 more votes than I do this month and I have not missed a single vote the whole month. So how is it fair that you are winning? That's why I made the post and asked all the questions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1stGlitch

1stGlitch Well-Known Member Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +277 / -0
    Server is hosted somewhere near Chicago, so technically the timezone is Central Standard Time, but I happen to know that the clock is quite a bit off, this shouldn't have anything to do with voting though, may I ask what you want this information for?

I have never known there to be one, BloodMaster2004 said in the shoutbox a while back that there was a lag the first day, but i'm not sure the source of that fact so it remains unconfirmed.

Just as Zigoul pointed out, those timers are completely separate from the actual voting sites, it just receives the vote and assumes a 24 hour timer and starts counting, the problem is not at the voting sites have a 24 hour delay, I know at least one of them is only a 12 hour delay, which can be confusing (but the new site doesn't have those timers anymore so it should no longer be an issue)

Nice catch, yes we use to have 7 links, however one of them constantly would break forcing Captianbob to reconfigure it, eventually we decided it was not worth the trouble (the vote website was not very popular anyways) and removed the link all together. To my knowledge we only have the 6 links. (I would be very surprised if there was another one I didn't know about)

It actually depends on the individual website and how they handle it, but I can say for certain that on the 6 websites we use, that is not possible, the votes are based off both IP address and username.

This doesn't happen often, but it can, I believe this occurs because the votes are not actually counted until the player logs into the game, a great example of this is Zigoul, he voted many times and never logged in until just recently, so all of his 65+ votes came in at once, all on the same day, as for how the staff team will handle that, I won't speculate. (Maybe they'll reply with an answer :))

This has been discussed in the past, to my knowledge no conclusion has be reached yet, hopefully a staff member can clarify.

What other information are you looking for? Let me know and i'll try to help! And I couldn't agree with you more, if a player can somehow obtain an unfair advantage then that needs to be looked into. Also if you have any suggestions on what could be added and/or changed to encourage players to vote more, i'm sure the staff would love to hear them!

~Glitch

10. DirtyCobble

Ratings:
    +73 / -4
    Thanks for replying to each of my questions. As for my reasons in asking:

1. I live in MST, Elwyndas is PST, many players are in Europe somewhere etc. so this affects the time I would choose to vote specifically on the first and last day of the month. This explanation also includes why I asked about a time lag/cooldown on first day of month. On Feb 01, I voted at 1:15 a.m. which would make it 3:00 a.m. CST where the server is located. Yet none of my 6 votes counted the first day, and I was stuck waiting for Feb 02 to start accumulating votes for the month.

I understand what you are saying about one of the links possibly having a 12 hour delay. I used to play another server where the one with the 12 hr delay could be voted twice but only if a player was logged in game to vote the second one.

I asked about the extra votes or players using others usernames, because Zigoul, CreeperSquad, and I were tied for top voter for several days (even after I didn't get my 6 votes on Feb 01), but then I checked one day and Creeper had jumped 2 votes ahead, the next day he was 3 votes ahead. I asked him how he got extra votes and his reply was "glitch".

What you said about Zigoul voting via forum for several days and the votes adding up when he eventually logged into the game, is true, however I think you missed one thing on it. I have also voted in forum before logging into game because I lag when I have 2 tabs open (not even counting all the ads on the voting sites). But when I vote this way, I always refresh the forum page after voting to make sure they count. Then I proceed to log in game and collect my keys, money etc. It's also another reason I wanted to see something to refer to when in forum, to track total votes for the month per player (at least the top 5, like the old forum)

I guess the only other thing I was wondering is if a command could be added in game to check players vote count as well. Example: /votetop (could show list of top 5 or 10 for the month) It would be used in the same way as /baltop etc.

Thanks for all the time and information 1stGlitch. It's appreciated. :)

DC