Why was I banned?

Discussion in 'Appeals' started by AnonymousUser585, Sep 5, 2016.

1. AnonymousUser585

AnonymousUser585 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    This was moved over from general discussion (http://originalsb.enjin.com/forum/m/20855780/viewthread/28393773-was-i-banned/page/1) as I had not realised that this section existed.

Are you disputing a ban, mute or jail?
    A Ban

Why was this punishment given?
    "Modded Client" Presumably due to the fact that I was running a bot that (hear hear) had been okayed a few days earlier that greeted new players, and added collectable cookies that randomly appeared.

Who administered this punishment?
    I am unsure as I was not at my PC at the time.

Do you feel as if you don't deserve this punishment?
    Yes I do.

If you feel as if you didn't deserve it, do you have proof showing why?
    Here is the relevant section of my logs:
    [18:23:28] [client thread/info]: [chat] [member] -redacted- » Could I write a chatbot that auto responds and have it run on my acc?
    [18:23:31] [client thread/info]: [chat] [god] IIIItzJohn_ » SAM
    [18:23:33] [client thread/info]: [chat] [elite] Tatertot2OO4 » addiefizz
    [18:23:35] [client thread/info]: [chat] ? [mod] Samuelii » pls dont spam the same thing john ;-
    [18:23:36] [client thread/info]: [chat] ? [mod] Samuelii » ;-;
    [18:23:38] [client thread/info]: [chat] [god] IIIItzJohn_ » MY GAWD SAM
    [18:23:40] [client thread/info]: [chat] [member] addiefizz » ya
    [18:23:46] [client thread/info]: [chat] ? [helper] Zach » I don't see a problem with it, -redacted-

Why should we lift your punishment?
    Because I explicitly asked if I could do what I did, and I was explicitly told that, yes, I could only to, a day or so later, find that I had been banned for the thing that I was told I could do.

Anything else you would like us to know?
    I have uploaded the code to github at https://github.com/-redacted-/OSBChatBot. If you want, I can run someone through the whole code if it's required to lift my ban. The bot says "Welcome, <name> to OSB" to any new players and occasionally will say "A cookie has appeared" to which a player can reply "!bb nom" and they eat said cookie and their cookie count goes up. Cookies can be counted using "!bb cookies <playername>" or looking in cookies.conf. The bot also abides by chat rules and speeds. I don't see anything wrong with what it is (was) doing. Other commands also included "!bb help", "!bb stop", "!bb reload" and "!bb restart".
    Edit:
    I can confirm that the code uploaded onto github is the exact same code that I have locally on my machine and was running. If you with to run it, you will need python2.7 and a module called "quarry" that implements the Minecraft protocol.
    Edit2:
    Just wanted to clarify that if the ban was lifted, I wouldn't run the bot anymore.

2. itdave

itdave Well-Known Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +266 / -21
    i feel like the only problem with this bot, is that staff could possibly see you using it as an sort of an afk outlet, where you can just afk somewhere while the bot updates your chat here and there, making it seem like you're not afk to the server, but you really are. it seems like a really cool concept and i give you credit for actually making something like this. but in the end, staff shouldn't of banned you if another staff said you could use it. cool bot though!

(also gg first legit nonstaff member on top likes and poster, where have i seen this before?)

3. AnonymousUser585

AnonymousUser585 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I had the bot type /spawn when it starts to avoid afk

4. Shauniee

Shauniee Active Member Extreme

Ratings:
    +216 / -4
    From my acknowledgement this bot was being used to also answer chat trivia questions in 0.14seconds. (Which IMO, is physically impossible to do yourself), which is clearly an exploit. Also, as Dave said, it could also be used as a way to AFK whether you were at spawn or not it is still in violation of the server rules. Zach should never of given you the go-ahead the use it because if someone had said to me 'auto responds' my instant reply would of been no, that's clearly something that can be used for AFK. You also failed to mention everything it was being used for to Zach, so i'm going to deny this appeal.

Thank you for attempting to appeal.

http://imgur.com/a/hWhjo

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016